Folks who feel the Christmas blues often turn their sorrows inward and question their self-worth and self-esteem. That inward spiral can often lead to real depression and a sense of worthlessness and lost hope.
Good news, everyone. You’re worth a lot more than you may think. In the notes in my Bible I found this chart that reveals EXACTLY what our identity is in Christ. Take courage, rekindle your hope. You are In Christ! We are . .
- Justified–declared “not guilty” of sin (Romans 3:24)
- Free of condemnation (Romans 8:1) Often times, especially at this time of year our we are our own worst enemy and condemn ourselves. But God will never condemn us.
- Sanctified – we are acceptable in Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 1:2)
- Righteous and holy in Christ (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- Made alive at the resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:20)
- A New Creation – (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Recipients of God’s righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- One in Christ with all other believers (Galatians 3:28)
- Blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3)
- Holy, blameless, and covered with God’s love (Ephesians 5:4)
- Adopted as children of God (Ephesians 1:5,6)
- Forgiven and our sins are taken away (Ephesians 1:7)
- Marked by the Holy Spirit as belonging to God (Ephesians 1:13)
- Raised up to sit with Christ in glory (Ephesians 2:6)
- God’s workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)
- Near to God (Ephesians 2:13)
- Able to share in the promises of Christ (Ephesians 3:6)
- Able to come with freedom and confidence into God’s presence (Ephesians 3:12)
- Members of Christ’s body, the church (Ephesians 5:29,30)
- Set free from our sinful nature (Colossians 2:11)
- Assured of eternal life (2 Timothy 2:10)
Now you can tell yourself, “Yeah, right. Maybe for some people but not me.”
No, no, oh doubting one! ALL these traits belong to EVERY PERSON who has believed in faith in Jesus Christ.
This is your true identity. It is who you really are!
Just reading this list is encouragement to me.
I hope you will look up the verses for each of your character traits. Then I hope you can trust Christ that all that God says about you in His word is true.
All you have to do for a Godly self appraisal is believe this is your true identity.
How’s’ that for a fantastic elixir for the Christmas blues?