Here’s another list of characteristics of adult children of alcoholics. This list comes from the book called Adult Children of Alcoholics by Dr. Janet Geringer Woititz.
When I arrived at my first ACA meeting and they read these characteristics, I had to admit that I exhibited all of them. They all described me. They didn’t indict me, they simply revealed some of the junk in my life I needed and wanted to change. As with the other list, I discovered during my recovery journey that you don’t have to be an adult child of an alcoholic to have some of these same characteristics. I know people who deal with these issues every day. They are some of the same issues many authentic followers of Christ deal with. They are common shortcomings authored by satan to drive a wedge between us and Christ.
I urge you to review them. Do any of them strike a nerve? A chord?
Some of the characteristics here are similar to the ones in Part 1.
- ADULT CHILDREN GUESS AT WHAT NORMAL IS¹
- ADULT CHILDREN HAVE DIFFICULTY IN FOLLOWING A PROJECT THROUGH
FROM BEGINNING TO END
- ADULT CHILDREN LIE WHEN IT WOULD BE JUST AS EASY TO TELL THE TRUTH
- ADULT CHILDREN JUDGE THEMSELVES WITHOUT MERCY
- ADULT CHILDREN HAVE DIFFICULTY HAVING FUN
- ADULT CHILDREN TAKE THEMSELVES VERY SERIOUSLY
- ADULT CHILDREN HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS
- ADULT CHILDREN OVER-REACT TO CHANGES OVER WHICH THEY HAVE NO
- ADULT CHILDREN CONSTANTLY SEEK APPROVAL AND AFFIRMATION
- ADULT CHILDREN FEEL THAT THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PEOPLE
- ADULT CHILDREN ARE EITHER SUPER RESPONSIBLE OR SUPER
- ADULT CHILDREN ARE EXTREMELY LOYAL, EVEN IN THE FACE OF EVIDENCE
THAT THE LOYALTY IS UNDESERVED
- ADULT CHILDREN ARE IMPULSIVE
If you recognize one or more of these characteristics in yourself, don’t ignore any. Jesus can heal you. Jesus can become your pathway to recover from them. If you recognize one or more of these in yourself, and want to talk about it, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to talk with you or arrange to call you or we can skype each other.
Thank you for visiting my blog and may God richly bless you today.
Did you enjoy reading today? If so, why not subscribe to my blog. Simply go to my home page. In the upper right corner click on Follow and enter your email address. That way you’ll get an email notification each time I publish a new post.