Jesus said “no” a lot.
He even told His Father no.
Jesus accepted His role in God’s plan and would not let anyone or anything get in the way of His relationship with His Father. His roll was to surrender His life and will to His Heavenly Father. He became the perfect example of humility.
- The Son can do nothing of Himself (John 5:19).
- My judgment is righteous because I seek not My own will (John 5:30)
- I receive not glory from men (John 5:41).
- I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me (John 6:38).
- My teaching is not mine (John 7:16).
- I am not here on my own authority, but He who sent me is true (John 7:28).
- I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me (John 8:28b).
- I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me (John 8:42b).
- I am not seeking glory for myself (John 8:50)
- The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work (John 14:10b).
- These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me (John 14:24).
Jesus lived a life of complete surrender of His life and will to His heavenly Father. He was nothing that God might be all. Jesus’ life of entire subjugation and total surrender gave Him perfect peace. The same peace we can have if we’ll surrender our life and our will over to God.*