The first and most important commandment says,
“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” Exodus 20:3
God reinforces His most important command in both the old and new testaments,
- Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Matthew 22:37
Let’s set aside quiet time to consider all our interests, activities and relationships. Let’s ask God to show us if we have any idols or false gods.
When you get quiet, you may want to consider pondering the questions below. “Yes” answers may not mean you have an idol or false god, but your answers may help you discern a trend of similar answers, you might be on to something.
- What things do I spend my money on besides necessities?
- What do I long for most passionately?
- What comfort do I treasure and yearn for most in life?
- What do I complain about the most?
- What makes me the happiest, most satisfied?
- What causes me to be angry with God?
- What do I want to have more of than anything else?
- What do I sacrifice the most for in my life?
- What do I want to control most in my life?
- What are you most proud of in your life?