I Did It

I did it  On July 1, 2015 I weighed 238 pounds. Today, November 11, 2015 I weigh 185 pounds.

These factors contributed to my success:

  • Exercise
  • Eating healthy
  • Perseverance
  • Hounding kids and granddaughters

Exercise

According to Runkeeper, my exercise app on my phone, I walked or hiked 76 times. I covered 199 miles. That’s an average of 2.6 miles a day. For the past week or so I’ve been walking/hiking at least 4 miles a day. One crazy day, I hiked 5.6 miles.

Eating Healthy

A friend at church gave me Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s book, Eat to Live. It changed my entire185 perspective on food, nutrition and health. I discovered three things about myself while reading the book and following Fuhrman’s plan. First, I can live without dairy, meat, processed sugar, pasta and coffee. Second, I can create filling, nutrient-rich stuff to eat without sacrificing taste. Third, after I started eating healthy, several lingering cardio and urology-related issues vanished.

This week I had the best doctor checkup I’ve had in years. When he asked me how I lost 53 pounds I told him about Eat to Live. He said he’s seen 8-9 overweight patients that he’s recommended the book to. After I told his nurse my story, she went on line to get it too.

Perseverance

During my regimen a special verse kept coming to mind:

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:4

I’ve rarely been persistent with anything. I can truthfully say God has shown me the value and rewards of persistence during my journey back to health. God has shown me what it takes to persevere and I will surely benefit from my experience. I believe now I’ll be better equipped to deal with future challenges and trials since God has shown me the path of persistence.

Hounding Kids And Granddaughters

Last Spring both my kids hounded me about losing weight. They reminded me of my heart issues and shared the litany of standard reasons why I should lose weight and take better care of myself.

My granddaughters (six and three) thought it was cute to pat my stomach and say, “You’ve got a fat belly, Granddaddy.” When you feel those pokes and hear that child-like admonition, it doesn’t take long to decide to do something.

Now I embrace Dr. Fuhrman’s maintenance plan. It means I can eat 90 percent nutrient-rich foods, like I have been doing. The other 10 percent I’ll have to waste on cheater days. That doesn’t mean I’m going to pig out on unhealthy food (cheeseburgers, chocolate and pasta). I can’t even eat that stuff anymore. It doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve sampled some and it upsets my stomach now.

I am over-the-top excited about the future of my health. I feel better than I’ve felt in 15 years and I plan to stay healthy and 185 pounds till Jesus takes me home.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Eat To Live and tagged , , , , , , , by Steven Sawyer. Bookmark the permalink.

About Steven Sawyer

God blessed me with the gift of writing. Mom told me I wrote paragraphs in second grade when others were learning to write sentences. I spent more than three decades in professional writing gigs. For the past eight years I've combined my passion for writing with my love for the Lord. He and I write a Christ-centered, family-friendly blog to glorify God Monday-thru Friday at https://stevensawyer.wordpress.com/. My wife and I have four grown children and two precious granddaughters we co-parent with their mom. I'm a Galatians 2:20 disciple of Christ seeking to allow Christ to live His life in me, through me, and as me.

5 thoughts on “I Did It

  1. Pingback: One sumptuous summer veggie delight | For His Glory

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s