In his book, Grace Amazing,¹ Steve McVey shared a portion of a brochure that a woman in his audience gave him. She told McVey everyone who joins her church receives one. The brochure is entitled, “Truth About Standards: Biblical Standards for Christians.”
Here are a few of the “standards” “Christians” are to live by, according to their brochure.
The brochure identified Scriptural reasons not to . . .
- participate in worldly amusements such as attending ball games, rodeos, circuses, racetracks or bowling alleys
- go dancing or participate in mixed bathing
- cut your hair short if you are a man
- allow your hair to grow long and not cut it if you are a woman
- wear clothing that “pertaineth to” the opposite sex
Here’s “standards” you ladies will like . . .
- Women are to wear decent, modest clothes with modest styles; moderate prices and colors; all with decent dress lengths, sleeve length and neck lines.
- Women are to refrain from wearing jewelry or makeup
It sounds as if a church committee sat around a table one day with the pastor and thought up all the things they thought “good Christians” should not do, Then they combed God’s Word to find scriptures that justified their “standards”. To me these “standards” are pure legalism. I wonder what they do for fun in that church.
¹Grace Amazing; ©2001 by Steve McVey; Harvest Home Publishers, Eugene Oregon 97402; pg. 128