If you’re in the military or ever join the military every member of the branch, officer or enlisted member, or support personnel is required to memorize 2 numbers. They are appropriately part of what is referred to as the rule of 3. The rule of 3 is often a key to survival.
The two numbers are: 1.–98.6 and 2.–3
98.6 is the ideal body temperature.
Maintaining the optimum healthy temperature keeps the body at its most efficient and operable condition.
Allowing our body temperature to get too low can be dangerous.
If the body temperature drops to 88 degrees seek medical attention right away.
If your body temperature falls to 82 degrees, call the family together and start picking out your favorite hymns for the service.
- You can survive 3 weeks without food
- You can survive 3 days without drinkable water
- You can survive 3 hours in a harsh environment (extreme heat or cold)
- You can last 3 minutes without breathable air
- You can only last 3 seconds without hope
The number 3 in Scripture
The number 3 is also an important element we find throughout Scripture. Here are just a few samples.
- Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- Three wise men
- Jesus was in the grave three days
- Three men were crucified on Calvary
- Three parts of man (body, soul, spirit)
- Justification, sanctification, glorification
- Three gifts of the magi–frankincense, gold and myrrh
- Jesus inner circle–Peter, James and John
- three heavens
- Peter disavowed Jesus three times
- We have three of the same characteristics as God–a will, an intellect and emotions
- Earth has three elements–sun, moon, stars
These are just a few examples of how significant the number 3 is in God’s Word. There are dozens more examples of how God’s number 3 influences the Gospel of Jesus Christ in both the Old and New Testaments.