The number one resolution at the beginning of each year is to lose weight. Very few people are successful at it. One of the downsides of the pandemic has been the fact that people have been indoors, haven’t exercised, and have eaten a good bit more. America is heavier following the pandemic.
The weight we need to lose is measured in pounds, but some weights are more important than physical pounds. You will function better if you lose these five weights – get rid of them!
- Lose the weight of GUILT. Jeremiah said, “No amount of soap or lye can make you clean. You are stained with guilt that cannot be washed away.” (Jeremiah 10:22)
The weight of guilt around the neck will drag you down and defeat you. It will wear you out. There is an answer to getting rid of guilt. John says, “If we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong.” (1 John 1:9) This is the only way to get rid of guilt!
- Lose the weight of GREED. It is so easy in today’s culture to want to get more and more. In the early church, Peter said, “In their greed, they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money …they trained themselves to be greedy; they are doomed and cursed.” (2 Peter 2:3,14)
The best way to get rid of greed is to give. One day, a young man came to Jesus and had become filthy rich. With it, came greed. He asked what he could do to follow Jesus, and Jesus said, “Go and sell all that you have and give the money to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven. Then, come follow me.” (Matthew 19:21) Giving neutralizes greed!
- Lose the weight of GRUMBLING. Too many people lose a balanced focus of life because they are always grumbling about what they don’t have instead of being grateful for what they do have. We grumble about a lot of things that other people are praying that they wish they could have!
When is enough, enough? The size of your wage will never be enough. Jesus said, “And when they received their wages, they grumbled at the landowner.” (Matthew 20:11) Gratitude is a great replacement for grumbling!
- Lose the weight of GOSSIP. This weight is detrimental to you and those around you. Gossip will tear away your integrity and the credibility of another person. Stop and think before you say anything about anybody. If it’s not for their benefit, don’t say it!
Solomon said, “A gossip tells secrets, so don’t hang around with someone who talks too much.” (Proverbs 20:19) James said, “The tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do…the tongue is a flame of fire, it can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame.” (James 3:5)
- Lose the weight of GRUDGES. Everybody has had somebody do something wrong to them. Grudges grow. A grudge tries to get back at someone – and all you do is harm yourself. Remember, “Never seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone, but love your neighbor as yourself.” (Leviticus 19:18)
I have listed five weights that we need to lose. This is not something you do once and think it’s over. We have to do this every day. It’s easy to go on a physical diet and lose a lot of pounds, then put those pounds back on the next week. The weights suggested here should be taken off – and left off!