The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech. Night after night they reveal knowledge. Psalm 19:1-3
I’ve always been overwhelmed by God’s power and his creativity. It’s not hard, it’s impossible, and beyond my comprehension to grasp the majesty of the heavens and the stars and outer space and know that He created it all and it all functions perfectly and exactly like it’s supposed to function according to His purpose and His will. Consider some of the things scientist and astronomers tell us about the awesome, incredible power of God. If you can’t tell me you are amazed after you read about God’s awesome power I’m going to cross you off my Christmas card list.
The Sun’s power
- A million earths could fit inside our sun.
- It takes only 8 minutes for a single beam of light to travel the 93 million miles from the sun to earth.
- The temperature on the surface of the sun approaches 10,000 degrees.
- Every second the sun produces enough energy to power human civilization for almost 500,000 years.
- The sun has enough nuclear fuel to burn another five
(5) trllioni (with a T) years.
- The sun never shuts down.
- It is a gascious ball of continuously occurring nuclear explosions radiating energy in all directions throughout the solar system.
- So far, astronomers have found more than 500 solar systems and are discovering new ones every year. Given how many they have found in our own neighborhood of the Milky Way galaxy, scientists estimate that there may be tens of billions of solar systems in our galaxy, perhaps even as many as 100 billion. And God’s power through His spoken word has created each one of them.